Wednesday, July 27, 2011

There's an Elephant in the room...

There's an elephant in the room.


It is large and squatting, so it is hard to get around it.


Yet we squeeze by with, "How are you?" and "I'm fine," and a thousand other


forms of trivial chatter. We talk about the weather. We talk about work.


We talk about everything else, except the elephant in the room.


There's an elephant in the room.


We all know it's there. We are thinking about the elephant as we talk together.


It is constantly on our minds. For, you see, it is a very large elephant.


It has hurt us all, especially me.


But we don't talk about the elephant in the room.


Oh, please talk about my lost pregnancies.


Oh, please ask me how I am really doing.


Oh, please, let's talk about the elephant in the room.


For if we talk about my losses, perhaps I can start to heal.


Can I say "I hurt" to you and not have you look away?


For if I cannot, then you are leaving me....



alone....



in a room....



with an elephant.



(I did not write this poem and I do not know who did.  I changed a few lines.  If this is your poem, please write to me and I will credit you or take it down if you want.)

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I think that you are doing the ring thing . talk about it vent etc, you can't keep it inside it's not good. It will make you an angry angry person