Jack was sick with what I am assuming was a short stomach virus. . .I put him to bed and then I hear choking over the baby monitor. I run to his room and he's like really choking, open mouth no air going in or out and actively gagging. I initially (frantically) thought he put something in his mouth and was choking on it but after further evaluation I think he vomited and then inhaled it.
So off to my bed we go after everything calms down. I listen to his chest and upper airway with my stethoscope (so happy I brought it home from work) and all is basically clear. His left lung sounded a little "wet" which makes me think he inhaled some fluid of some sort. After having him cough for me a few times it clears. He continues to freak out and dry heave but he doesn't understand that he must do so IN THE BOWL and not on mommy. How you explain that to a freaked out 3 year old I am not sure. . .I was failing at it because every time he heaved he was clinging to me like a monkey and I was praying nothing actually was going to come out.
So off to my bed we go after everything calms down. I listen to his chest and upper airway with my stethoscope (so happy I brought it home from work) and all is basically clear. His left lung sounded a little "wet" which makes me think he inhaled some fluid of some sort. After having him cough for me a few times it clears. He continues to freak out and dry heave but he doesn't understand that he must do so IN THE BOWL and not on mommy. How you explain that to a freaked out 3 year old I am not sure. . .I was failing at it because every time he heaved he was clinging to me like a monkey and I was praying nothing actually was going to come out.
So we survived our very first tummy bug. I could have done without the first terrified 5 minutes of the whole not breathing thing :)

No comments:
Post a Comment