Saturday, May 26, 2012

Adventures in Potty Training :)

We are potty training.  Yes, us.  The almost 3 year old who has a severe attachment to his diapers is being potty trained.  I didn't think he was ready.  I didn't plan on doing this but (I hate admitting this and probably shouldn't) we ran out of diapers.  Okay, so not totally out of them but I had like 4 left and I couldn't buy more for at least 2 days.  Cue freak out.  After checking all the cars, my purse, the diaper bag and underneath his bed my diaper count rose to 6.  Not good.  I even contemplated how I could maybe stuff his diaper with a newborn diaper I have for Scarlett to prolong it's absorbency life.  The plan of duck taping multiple newborn diapers together into a Transformer's style diaper also was in the plans.  I decided to not do this but it did cross my mind.
 
So I did what any other mother does and told grief stricken Jack the diaper has to go.

Let's just say I had to bribe.

 So a handful of chocolate chips, 5 games of Hi-Ho Cherrio and a game of matching cards the boy was naked and not crying about it.

The first night I expected to be cleaning up pee puddles every 30 minutes.  Nope.  He didn't have one accident.  At all.  He went to the bathroom faithfully. 

The next day only 2 accidents and it was only a little dribbles in his underwear because he couldn't make it to the bathroom.  And he even POOPED on the potty.  I can not tell you the hoopla that occurred between Ryan and I celebrating poop.  Lots of clapping, hooraying and lots and lots of chocolate chip treats for Jack.

The next day only 1 small accident and he did refuse to poop on the potty.  He held it for close to forever, starting whining and holding his tummy and confided in me in the smallest saddest little voice that he was "scared".  So I put a dipe on for him to poop and then took it right back off.

Today?  No accidents yet.  Awesome.  I don't even take him to the potty....I just ask every hour or so and he usually just goes in and does it solo. 

So so proud of my boy :)

No comments: