My appointment with Dr. Hope was today. I am happy to report I did not cry...not even once. I'll try to condense all the information because there is a hell of a lot of it.
You know what happens when you sit talking to a super smart reproductive endocrinologist for over an hour straight?
Your head explodes with information and your husband gets the glazed over look in his eyes because he was lost at the words "fallopian tube". True story.
Thankfully this particular RE was fantastic. Dr. Hope drew me pictures and wrote in her own handwriting individualized lists of our plan and of what we talked about all day and gave them to me. No preprinted handout that didn't apply to me was thrusted into my hands and monotonously read over.
She made her own handouts with a pen and paper. I love her for that. Although her uterus portrayal confused me...it looked like an upside U and I wasn't sure why the bottom was so "open". Maybe she was depicting a very dilated cervix (I'm talking 10 cm+, super cervix!)....I'm not sure.
So anyway there is bad news and good news.
Bad news: Dr. Hope really doesn't think my MTHFR mutation (clotting disorder) is the cause for all my losses. It's bad because, well then what IS the cause? I liked having a diagnosis for why I am having this recurrent pregnancy loss. So we will continue the aspirin and folgard because it won't hurt but she is not going to give me lovenox injections at this time. She said the risks outweigh the benefits and she doesn't think it will make a difference.
Good news: Anatomically my uterus is perfect according to my SIS, my ovaries are fine and according to my CD3 and 7DPO bloodwork I ovulate like a pro. Ovulation is not my problem at all. Cool!
Bad news: Dr. Hope is pretty confident that I am having a luteal phase defect in which my progesterone is dropping and pregnancy ends before it even fully begins. Even though my levels are fine when we check them, they could be higher and better. So....
Good news: I am starting prometrium (progesterone) suppositories 200 mg every day after I ovulate to "beef up" my progesterone level to help sustain a pregnancy. She seemed pretty darn positive that this is the end of my pregnancy loss struggle...I wish I shared her optimism and I guess I do a little bit. I am just a little gun shy at getting my hopes up.
Then we talked hypothetical....what IF I don't stay pregnant with any viable babies? What if this keeps happening? Well then we are going to look into more aggressive treatment. We will regroup in 6 months and if I am not pregnant with a viable baby then on to clomid or even IVF. We'll have to see where our heads are at if that time comes.
So I feel good about this...I don't have much of a choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment