Thursday, October 6, 2011

You are not alone.

One of the common themes I get when speaking with other women about their miscarriages is that they feel alone. 

Let's face it, miscarriage is a taboo.  It's not spoken about freely.  It's not appropriate to talk about it all willy-nilly.  Many women have a miscarriage and will keep quiet to even her family and friends. . .I know I did with my first loss.  If I remember correctly I think I was quiet about it after my second and maybe third.  I somehow felt ashamed. 

Ashamed?  Why on this earth did I feel ashamed of it...I didn't do it on purpose.  I had no control over my body and the fate of that pregnancy.  I just couldn't admit that it happened to me. 

I think that is why my blog has taken the turn that it did. . . I didn't mean for my family blog to morph into basically a pregnancy loss blog.  It just happened.  My issues with this are often at the forefront of my mind and it helps to release my grief onto something and this blog is where I vent.  I scour the internet for other pregnancy loss blogs written by real people.  Women just like me.  I read their words and I relate to their struggle.  It makes me feel a little less alone.

By the way, October is Pregnancy Loss Awareness month. . . but I bet you wouldn't know that because oh yea. . .it's not talked about.  Have cancer?  Get support.  Have a disease?  Get support.  Have a drug or alcohol addiction?  Get support.  Have a miscarriage. . . (crickets)

So wear a little pink and blue ribbon and give women the ability to show their pain and speak about their loss.  I'm sure they are bursting to talk about it or at least want to know they are not alone.

I know I am.

No comments: