Friday, November 18, 2011

I should know better...

I should know better.  I should deny hope during the two week wait before testing for pregnancy.  I should know that becoming excited for something that stands very little chance of happening is a set up for heartbreak.  I should know better that even if I see those precious two pink lines it doesn't mean that I'll actually get to keep the baby. 

I should know better to analyze every twinge, every cramp, every bout of dizziness and nausea.  I should know better but yet, here I am.  Letting that hope and excitement creep into my body. 

I know I should steel myself against disappointment.  I know I should just ignore all the pregnancy symptoms and the blood results.  I know I shouldn't even get excited until I see a flickering of a tiny heart.

But I won't wait.  I will get excited.  I will be hopeful.  I will test early and often.  I will cry with every negative and be scared of seeing blood on the toilet paper.  I will instinctively imagine what that child will be like.  I will know the phantom due date (which by the way is July 31st in case anyone is wondering).  I will love this baby the second I know I am pregnant.

I am afraid that I will have a very long way to fall at the end of this. . . I guess we'll find out soon enough.

1 comment:

Dana said...

It's really hard not to hope, even if you should know better. I hope every month, even though I should know better. And when I get pregnant, I imagine my entire future with that child, even though I should no better.

You don't have much of a life without hope. Too bad it's so painful to do sometimes.