Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Scarlett's Birth Story


I guess I probably should write this since it’s been 9 days and I am already starting to forget details.  


S
carlett Eliza was born July 23rd at 10:37 pm.

Scarlett’s due date was July 30th.  She was born at exactly 39 weeks.  Actually, she was technically evicted since we induced labor but I am sure she was on her way anyway.  The weekend before I was getting progressively more uncomfortable with multiple episodes of contractions that were becoming stronger and closer together. 

So this pregnancy we were very proactive in keeping this little girl in since we had such a problem with Jack…at 12 weeks 4 days I had a cerclage placed to keep my cervix closed.  I started p17 injections at 18 weeks which helps prevent preterm labor.  I also started procardia shortly after to calm my uterus.  We did fairly well, I was very uncomfortable but my cervix stayed stable.  I was able to avoid strict bed rest for the most part.  So all that technical stuff out of the way.


We arrived at the hospital Monday morning at 7 am to get checked in. My nurse walks in and I feel like I know her.  She introduced herself as Michelle and it clicked…she was my nurse when Jack was born!  How cool is that. She checks me and I was 3 cm dilated and around 70-80% effaced.  We really thought I’d go really fast and I’d have a baby by noon at the latest.  I was GBS+ so they started my IV and the antibiotics.  The pitocin was started at 9:30 am at the lowest dose.  The contractions started and were actually very regular and long, my uterus only needed a little push to get going I guess. 
Photo of my room that I delivered in




I planned on an epidural free birth so I labored on a birth ball and standing.  Lying in the bed was awful during contractions…awful.  So I was adamant on being upright, standing for me felt the best.  So from 9 to 4 pm I labored.  I wasn’t checked during this time at all.  The pitocin was increased once or twice.  I had noticed that I wasn’t able to pee during this time…or at least when I tried I was only able to go a tiny bit.  I was back and forth to the bathroom a billion times. 



At 4 pm I was checked for the first time since I arrived.  4 cm.  Stay what??  I only progressed 1 cm in 7 hours of natural pitocin induced labor.  I almost cried.   

We found that my bladder was extended since I couldn’t pee and that was preventing her from dropping down and my cervix from dilating.  My stupid bladder was keeping her in.  So they wanted to put in a foley catheter.  I could not imagine having to lie on my back for even a second at that point.  My water still hadn’t broken naturally.  I was exhausted anyway.   So I consented to an epidural.  The anesthesiologist came in and placed my epidural, my nurse put in a catheter and drained my huge bladder and I rested in bed.  Shortly after the on call doctor broke my water and there was meconium in it.  Great.  One more issue and now I knew that she wasn’t going to be able to be placed on my chest immediately after delivery.  They would have to take her to the warmer right away. 

I was checked a couple hours later and I was 7 cm so finally seeing some progress but it was still slow going.  Scarlett was posterior and facing sunny side up so the contractions were not effective.  My nurse placed me in a “runner’s position” on my belly basically to get her to turn which worked!  I was sat up after she turned and I went from 7 cm to 10 cm within 30 minutes!  I was supposed to be checked at 10:30 but at 10 pm I started to feel pressure so I called her.  She checked me shortly after and I was complete J  I have never heard sweeter words than that…I was so tired and did not expect labor to take so long.  If it wasn’t for not being able to pee and for her malposition I think I would have been able to go natural and had a baby much sooner than I did.

So Dr. P was called and he came within 10 or so minutes.  We set up to push and on the first contraction her head crowned and came out!  Wahoo!  At least I know how to push.  She needed to be suctioned a lot before taking her first breath so  Dr. P suctioned her and then on the second contraction out came her body….no tearing and she was out within 3 minutes at 10:37 pm. It was a good ending of the delivery to a horrible beginning.


The NICU team and a pediatrician were present and took her right away so I didn’t get to have her on my chest like I did with Jack.  They aggressively suctioned her and then I heard her first cry!  They took her to get weighed and she was 7 lb 10 oz and 20 inches long…I guessed 7 lb 9 oz so I won the bet J

They gave her to Ryan first and then he brought her to me.  It was one of the best moments of my life.  I couldn’t even cry I was so overwhelmed.  She was so beautiful.  And she was here alive and healthy and pink. 



I am very happy with her labor and delivery outcome although I wish I would have been able to go through with my epidural free plans.  If I would have progressed faster then I think I could have done it.  Hearing you only made 1 cm in 7 hours of pain sort of makes you give up lol. 

I know there are more details I forgot….I wish I would have written this within hours of her delivery but of course I was a little busy. 

Scarlett is 9 days old now and is doing fantastic.  She is exclusively breastfed and minus a few problems when my milk came in and I was engorged we are doing great with it.  She is certainly a boob baby and doesn’t want a pacifier.  Nursing soothes her most and I guess I’m okay with that…she certainly looks sweet after nursing.  Like a little drunken baby.  I am very grateful that breastfeeding is working for us this time around.  Trying to breastfeed Jack was a nightmare from the beginning.

So that’s it.  Our sweet baby girl is here.






No comments: